About Me

My photo
I am a writer of dark magical realism. All that is visible but rarely seen, all that is real but seems surreal, all that is dark yet radiates light.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

EAT PRAY AND LOVE

If you like that book; I don't like you. We would never get along.  I'd be too negative (aka real for you) and you, well you'd just be whack to me.  No I haven't read it but I heard about it and I won't.  I saw the movie preview with my friend and we both gave it two thumbs down.  How can I judge you ask?  Because the author got an agent and a $200,000 advance before the book was even written.  The whole premise sounds boring: some thirty-something white woman fed up with her middle class existence goes on a prepaid vacation to eat pasta, meditate and get crotch rot. She left her husband because she was bored and gained 23 much needed pounds because she was underweight and ends up marrying her jungle bunny Brazilian lover and moves to New Jersey.

How deep.  How profound. She is such a survivor.  There are people in those countries that are starving and this bitch is voluntarily not eating to fit into a size 00.   I am so inspired. 

Let someone give me 200K to go on a trip and now that would be a story on some real shit. You want spirituality: I'd probably skip Italy substitute it for somewhere in West Africa and instead of meditating in India in some safe commune I'd be chilling with the Aghoris in India and be all up in the Umbanda ceremonies in Brazil.  My travel memoir would probably read more like a dark magical realism story.

I'm so tired of this predigested psuedo reality bullshit.

2 comments:

  1. lol..........thank you for that, that was very a very entertaining piece! Wish all critics were this refreshingly honest.

    ReplyDelete